Crstal LaPearlz Store

Crstal LaPearlz Store
Dealer of all Kinds of hair

Follow Us

Like Our Facebook Page

Home » » I’m not romantic –Joe Okei-Odumakin

I’m not romantic –Joe Okei-Odumakin



Dr. Joe Okei-Odumakin
Dr. Joe Okei-Odumakin was recently honoured as an International Woman of Courage in the United States. She speaks on this and other personal issues in this interview w

How long have you been an activist?

It started as early as 1985, although I had been involved in the fight for the rights of the Ijaw from my primary school days. But one thing that held me back was the fact that I wanted to be a nun. That was my priority then, but when my father threatened to disown me, I later reviewed my stand. He was in the United Kingdom and decided to print my obituary. I was 14 years old then and went to Kwara State Polytechnic. He took me to the Director of Public Studies, Dr. Arthur, where he said I had to clock in and out of school every day. I really felt bad about the arrangement that I decided to move to the hostel, even then, I was still signing in and out the director’s office, in and out of school. At a point, I assured my dad that I wasn’t going to be a nun anymore and he let me be. 

Shortly after, I gained admission into the University of Ilorin and after my first year, one of my lecturers came in and mentioned my matriculation number and I went to see him. People were wondering why he wanted to see me, but I was confident that it had nothing to do with an offence. It turned out that I scored high marks in his course and he asked me why I wanted to be a nun. I tried to explain my passion to become a nun. But I was stammering, he then said, “You have to get back and study more. Have you heard of Martin Luther King, and other revolutionalists? You can be one.” 

This happened around January 1985 and by March, the position of Secretary, Women in Nigeria, was open and I filled it. I displaced two other contestants. As a result of taking this position, I wrote my Will, because I like to give everything I have to whatever I do.
  


Your Will, how old were you then?
I was 19 years old. After reading a lot of biographies on Karl Max, Martin Luther King and how they were killed, I was certain that death could take me at anytime. I wasn’t just verbalising the commitment, I was ready to lose my life to the struggle. The things I could call mine were my books and mattress and I wanted to be sure that even if I paid the supreme price, my books were well taken care of because they are very important to me. I had lots of revolutionary books. I simply called one of my activist members – a lawyer – and asked him to prepare the Will. I wanted all my books to go to the University of Ilorin, because it would be a lot of blessing to students. I asked him to will my mattress to a motherless babies’ home.
  

How then does it feel that you are still alive?

What I can say is that I have the feeling that the struggle continues. I don’t feel that sense of fulfillment yet. We are still in a country where justice, fairness and equity are still a far cry. Although I have been through detention about 17 times and suffered gunshot wounds, suffered chronic ulcer and been in a state that I had passed out only to be restored to life again, it is not time to relax or celebrate. 

Yes, we have recorded some success in having civil rule in exchange for military dictatorship, but we need stronger institutions, the INEC, EFCC otherwise Nigeria is like a volcano that may erupt at anytime and many will be engulfed. This is because we still have a government that swore to defend the rights of the people, secure lives and property, but under the same administration, our best and brightest people are dying. Women are still largely victims of violence, there is corruption in leadership; not only have our officials become corrupt, corruption has actually become our officials. This has ruined a lot of lives; that is why the hospitals cannot cater to the needs of pregnant women and their babies. The level of maternal mortality is still very high – about 144 women die daily as a result of pregnancy complications. Domestic violence is on the rise because the men are frustrated for lack of employment and so they vent their anger on their wives. 

So how can one celebrate in the midst of this? How can a 52 and half year old man be still on diaper – it is almost a crime now for people to send their children to public schools. Look at the rally in Ojota in January 2012 and how the Federal Government sent soldiers to occupy the venue in a democracy, our patriots were treated to teargas. That is the government that people voted for; that is why all we have been doing is going round in circles, movements but no progress. This is more like a banana republic.


 With a husband and children, are you still prepared to die for the struggle?

Honestly, I still feel the same way and in line with this, I have upgraded my will. My life begins to end the day I keep quiet for the things I should speak up against. We cannot continue this way. Only a few days ago, President Goodluck Jonathan said that the price of fuel might be increased, while we have been subsidising corruption. And we dare say that anytime the price of fuel is increased without the empowerment of the relevant sectors, not even soldiers will stop us. Let him litter everywhere with soldiers, we will be prepared to lead a non-violent protest against him. It happened in India, Tunisia and Egypt, they were wired up for a change, Nigerians will brace for the show. Can you imagine presidential pardon to Diepreye Alamieyeseigha? It is sad.

 How do you feel about the death of progressives?
I feel a sense of loss that a few days ago, we lost Prof Chinua Achebe. Some years back, we lost a guiding light, Chief Gani Fawehinmi; also Beko Ransome-Kuti and so on. Filling the vacuum is very difficult. The few existing ones have a lot to contend with in seeing the Nigeria of our dream. Can you imagine Prof. Wole Soyinka still marched with us on the streets some days ago? But one consolation is that these people continue to live in the consciousness of the Nigerian people forever. The only way to immortalise them is to uphold the virtues for which they lived and died.
  
You appear so detached from your family…
We have a typical home like most people do. I always strive to strike a balance between my itinerary and the family. I believe that marriage is not a competition but a platform to complement your spouse. Yes, I travel to all parts of the world; even during the days when I suffered constant harassment, I used to pack my bag in case I do not return home as scheduled. But there is this training that I got from my mum and that has stayed with me. We were trained to use one bedspread per night. By the next morning, it must be washed. So I love to stay in a very clean environment. I wash the clothes, clean the house and I love to prepare my food by myself. For many years, what I have been doing is that I prepare like five different types of soups and stock them in the freezer. Those days, I used to go do the shopping by myself, but today, I ask people to do it for me because people will not let me concentrate when I appear in the market. 
I end up spending longer time and I will be there counselling and doing enlightenment. When I won’t be around at all, I get a caterer to come and do the dishes for me and stock them in the freezer. But when I am around, I love to get down the list of things I want and prepare them myself. I love fish, so I always have different types of it in the fridge. I hardly eat out, besides I have a personal weakness of not eating well. As I am speaking to you, I have not eaten today, its past 8pm already. Growing up, my mum had to hit me hard to get me to eat a little. Sometime ago, someone came to the house and saw that I had a plaster around one of my fingers and when I told her that it was a knife wound from trying to prepare Edikaikong soup, she shouted when she learnt that I have time for the kitchen. The same thing happens when I attend the Parent Teachers’ Association meetings in my kids’ school; the place eventually becomes a centre for discussing the state of the nation. I try as much as possible to go over their homework, but not often. Their lesson teacher does more in that area. But I must say that the best moments that I cherish with my family is when we are discussing the state of the nation. Comrade (her husband) and I do that a lot. For instance, during the American election, we were always with CNN. 
We had different candidates to support but mine won. We even do so through phone calls, especially whenever there are developments and we just feel like sharing our views with one another about the issues. Those are our best moments.


Where did you meet your husband?

I met him during one of my detentions. I was arrested and detained for unlawful assembly during the Abacha regime. Actually, I was pasting anti-Abacha posters when I fell into the hands of policemen. I was supposed to place mine at Dodan Barracks in Lagos, but somehow, I returned to Ilorin. I went to the police headquarters in the night; there was no light at all. Two people kept watch for me while I did the pasting. We arrived there on a motorbike, I was putting on a black dress with a brush and a bucket full of starch made from cassava. While I was pasting the anti-Abacha posters, I heard someone moving in my direction. He wanted to urinate by the wall. Unfortunately, he came so close to me that he did the mess all over my face and body, while I tried not to say a word. But because he was drunk, he staggered and his feet touched mine. He screamed thinking that it was a snake and called for a torch. That was it. He saw me resting on the wall, and I couldn’t run away because it was very close. He saw the posters reading, “Abacha Go.” He beat me silly. Meanwhile, the other officer said, “Oga why are you wasting your energy on her? Kill her now.” That was the point at which my people who had been standing close by, shouted, “Don’t kill her o” and the policemen shot into the air several times. I was beaten to a point that I did not know where I was. They also poured the bucket full of starch on me from my head to my toe. I only realised that when I recovered myself later. I was in that state for three days. I was later taken to Lagos. But just before then, my father came to sign an undertaking that I would be of good behaviour but I asked him to go home and look after his other children. I told him that I was ready to die. As soon as he left, I was handcuffed and taken by road to detention in Lagos. At that time, I was also chairperson, Committee for Defence of Human Rights among others. I was at the back of a station wagon and at a point, I felt so pressed and told them that I needed to ease myself. At first they declined, and asked me to defecate in the vehicle. But one of them said, “Oga, all of us no go fit stay here if this girl shit here o,” so they reluctantly allowed me. I did so in the bush while they guarded me. When we eventually got to Lagos, I met Chief Gani Fawehinmi and he screamed because I had greatly emaciated. Then he said to a young man beside him, “Yinka don’t you know her, this is Joe from Ilorin.” He said he thought the Joe was a man. They were released from detention before me, but after I was released we met again. My happiest moments are when we are going out for rallies and many of the activist platforms usually had meetings together and come out with a communiqué on the state of the nation. There were very few women those days in the circle. He was of JACON then. During one of such meetings, we were meant to discuss the state of the nation and Yinka said, “Before I talk about the nation, I want to talk about the state of my heart.” The house gave him a hearing and he said, “Please help me ask her why she doesn’t want to marry me.” I started explaining to them that I didn’t want distraction, but I didn’t sound convincing and so the house ruled in favour of Yinka. 

That was how it happened, one thing led to another. We eventually got married in November 1987. The PUNCH’s headline that day was “What Abacha has joined together.” There have not been distractions as I had always feared. As soon as we were done with the marriage ceremonies, we were off together to attend to our programmes in Lagos. I remember that on the day I was to have my first child, we were billed for a conference at Pa Abraham Adesanya’s place, but I was feeling funny. My mum was around. When we got to the hospital, the doctor said it was labour signs, at an advanced stage. So comrade left me to go to the press conference. We got to the hospital around 7.30pm and by 8.15pm the baby had been born. Minutes after that, I sneaked out of the hospital to go and be part of the press conference, made my contribution and returned to the hospital thereafter. So I have had no distractions.
  
You appear so masculine. Are you romantic?
I am not romantic. My husband and I have a way of working things out. He understands me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

CUTIE OF THE DAY

CUTIE OF THE DAY
Minjin